When I was in Seattle, my friends and I were talking about the burdens of being a sensitive person. My friend Bonnie was reading a book called The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron, Ph.D and she deemed all 4 of us HSPs (highly sensitive peoples).
If you are wondering if you are highly sensitive, here are some questions to reflect on:
- Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens nearby?
- Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?
- Do you make a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows?
- Do you need to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?
- Do you make it a high priority to arrange your life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?
- Do you notice or enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, or works of art?
- Do you have a rich and complex inner life?
- When you were a child, did your parents or teachers see you as sensitive or shy?
I don’t relate to the more physical questions like smell, sight and taste but I have certainly been called sensitive throughout my life, and lately I have really been feeling a lot of feelings. I think I need to get that book Bonnie was reading…
For more in defensive of HSP’s, check out this article.